About Me

My photo
Shula's Athletic Club is located in beautiful Miami Lakes, Florida and has been one of South Florida's premier fitness and wellness centers since 1982. Our staff is dedicated to improving the “quality of life” of our members and the community of Miami Lakes. This is achieved every day by providing our members with a warm and welcoming environment, extensive programming, a team of caring professionals, and the best fitness equipment and sports facilities available.

What Is 'Hot Yoga' ? Is it Dangerous?


Q: My friend keeps trying to drag me to her hot yoga class, but could it be hazardous?
It could be. Bikram yoga, also known as hot yoga, takes place in a room that is 100 to 105 degrees with 40 percent humidity. Exercising in such a warm room can cause dehydration or heat stroke, so be sure to drink plenty of water (at least 16 ounces) before and during hot yoga.

Also, these conditions can be stressful on your heart, so if you have heart disease, stay away. Others who should steer clear of Bikram: children, the elderly, and pregnant women.
If you decide to give hot yoga a whirl but start to feel dizzy, faint, nauseous, or sick in any way, stop right away because you could be heading toward heat stroke. Also, if you take any prescription medication or have a serious health condition of any kind, talk to your doctor first before taking this kind of class.
Yoga is meant to be a relaxing, meditative activity, so my personal feeling is why do it in uncomfortable, potentially dangerous conditions?

1 comment:

  1. I went to a Bikram yoga class only because they had a promo for one free session to try before actually enrolling. My lord it was so uncomfortable. I cant call it relaxing in any way. It could work to some people but I could not take the heat/sweat no matter how much water I drink. We were about 40 people in the class and tell you about half went out of the room, including me! 10 mins later.

    ReplyDelete